View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I've been all tube for the past 24 years or so, first with a Mesa Boogie then a Fender Bassman. Now I play a Yamaha THR100HD. I love it more than both of my previous amps combined. I defy anyone in a blind test to differentiate between my Yamaha or one of my tubes. You can't do as they sound nearly identical. I can get so many more tones and sounds out of my Yamaha than the Boogie or Fender and the built in dirty tones are all over the map and sound so good. Never would have thought I'd give up my tubes after all these years but I did.
The Yamaha looks like a killer device. I've been noodling around with a THR10C and a 90's Ibanez super Strat, and it sounds pretty convincing to me, but I haven't been able to A/B it with tube amps.
Just like with acoustics, I think that we must all be aware that we're susceptible to the placebo effect. That's probably why Yamaha put an artificial tube glow and old school design on their THR practice amps.

Notwithstanding the placebo effect, I don't dismiss the opinions of those who think real tube amps are the bees knees.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.