View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 07:21 PM

Cool AT 2020 & C01 Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
You're right impaired is not the right word although I am 67 and have lost a bit of acuity and high freq. sensitivity. Unable to distinguish, uneducated, yellow ear, rather than golden - all would have been more appropriate to describe someone who isn't able to hear differences. But ****, I'm a very close and attentive listener, know a great recording when I hear one and am interested in fidelity second only to the song.

I feel for anyone losing the High Hz or having them diminished , this is/would be a bigtime bummer if
it happened to me.

@ 68 "I have lost evenly across the normal human hearing range at an even resolution , I just need to
turn up the volume that's all .

In the past I have for others helped analyse recordings and recording from mono to simulated stereo for
people who rub shoulders with the RIAA . These sessions were for Playboy records , Warner Bros.
records and TADEO .

As noise goes , the C01 really is a quiet mic , very silent and transparent @ it's price point .

Now a days it's just for my own stuff , I am glad , fortunate and humble that aside from higher volume
it all works quite well and I can still cut it .

Back to the OP's question .

Most listeners who are targeted for sales of music are mostly users who use headphones primarily .

The headphone listener also has these days a Bluetooth speaker and most are small .

Another group is to target only a selected venue of listeners like family & friends . The mp3's they
listen to can't really do justice to a finely engineered recording . This is what most have available
and obviously these people don't really know what a fine recodrdiing is or sounds like .

If your target is to make demos then having the perfect spotless clean high end level isn't
really what potential acts are judged by .

What I have learned after I got the Samson C01 LDC is the others at the same level of
performance/cost were not built like the Samson's heavy thick metal housing , like a Shure ,
drop it and it most likely will work , the Samson I have has taken a few nose dives off a boom stand
more that I wanted and still is working . The video I posted gave a good showing of it
compared to the AT2020 .

The AT2020's housing isn't as robust as the C01 , and on the thin side , good mic @ the price though .

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me