View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
DM3MD,

I like Taylor 12 string guitars. A lot.

While they have cutaways (they really don't ruin a nice guitar), you should check out any of Taylor's relatively recent Grand Concert models. I think think most of them are unslotted 12 fretters, of the half dozen or so made.

Taylor also made a few in the Grand Auditorium and Grand Symphony 14 fret sizes over the years.

Even if you don't want a larger one, try out one of the Grand Orchestra model 12s. especially with a rosewood body, just to see what they sound like. The necks on all of Taylor 12s are 1+7/8" if I'm not mistaken.

While I wouldn't ignore one of those GC 12s, the rosewood Grand Orchestra is my favorite.

Don
+1 ☝️
You can find w/o the cut out. Look for a 562.
It’s an all Mahogany GC or GA, the smaller of the 2.
The 562 is a 12 fret, you mentioned preference for 14...
Bending both strings, on the 12 fret 12 string (Thomastik Ultalights in standard, EADgbe tuning on a 12 string) is easier for me than bending the same notes on my 6 string Martin 14 fret, with mid Santa Cruz strings ( med/light)
Being the easiest to play 12 string guitar sells the 12 fret because it is welcoming to pick up rather than intimidating. Taylor and Thomastic are also fantastic at keeping in tune. I play it every day. It’s a great finger picker too.
The one in my signature has a “ce” at the end= Cut out/ Electronics.

Was playing in the living room with my father, who has hearing aides; and he remarked that he found it unusual that he could hear the clean tones, and that usually he can’t decipher them. I found this fascinating being a 12 string!
I have attributed it to the Mahogany and also the nature of the Taylor sound, and the octave strings all sharing qualities in the mid and upper register.