View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Help me upgrade! Larrivee or Breedlove or

Hi guys, I lead worship and had a Taylor 114ce for 5 years but i developed GAS(guitar acquisition syndrome) and felt i wanted a solid wood guitar. I sold the Taylor for a profit and bought a Takamine 2005 Ltd which was a beautiful instrument. It was so well balanced and had this tight range and amazing playability.

Unfortunately the guitar didn't do to well with driving rhythm and my percussive style and i longed for a brighter tone, a wider range. So after some reading i found that rosewood back and sides should do the trick.
That lead me down the path of Americans and their love for Larrivee, which they are pretty convincing at. So i found 2 Larrivees in South Africa, I'm from Cape town but the guys wanted to much so I "settled" for a 2002 Takamine TSF48C which is actually exactly what i need but my heart yearned for the Larry i did not know.

So i put the TSF48 on for sale and have made 50% profit which puts me close to the $1000 mark, but the problem is there are 3 American guitars that i want but they are a 1000 miles away and nowhere near me is there any Larrivees or Breedloves in music shops.

I need your opinion, critizism, expertise and help to help me make the best decision from a distance. The guitar will be primarily used for rhythm, some percussive and finger style playing. I dont want booming bass, it should punchy, the mids should be pronounced with some overtones and the highs should preferable not be as shimmering as a taylor but broader range than my Tak 2005 Ltd.
I like the TSF48 solid spruce and and rosewood back and sides but I have sold that for my "last" guitar ever...

These are the 3 guitars in my price range - 2016(spotless) Larrivee L03RE, 2006 Larrivee LV09E(Lr Baggs Pro) and a Breedlove American series 000 SRE.

I welcome your opinion and feel free to ask me any questions.

I am open to suggestions not on my list.

Last edited by petrivoges; 05-27-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Clearer indication in title as to the purpose of the post