View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I've heard transformered and transformerless mics over the years and in the old days, that was basically true.

I've also been fooled by transformerless mics; thinking there must be a transformer in there. As such, I can't agree to your idea.

The TLM 67 is one such mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford
I'm specifically referring to why the 184 sounds different than the 84. Sure, it's not true of all mics...but the 84 is an old design and the transformer was a big part of it's signature sound.

When Sennheiser revamped the Neumann line they went all transformerless with the new models. I, personally, think it changed a lot of the signature "neumann sound" in the race for lower self noise. I also think it made the new mics sound more Sennheiser than traditional Neumann. Maybe that was unavoidable. All that said, I do audio work for Sennheiser & I can say that they are fanatical about sound. They are serious about their mics. So they're goal is always to make things better.

I haven't used a TLM 67, so I can't comment on it. I may have even passed one over when choosing mics at various studios (I think Avatar had at least one...if I recall...or maybe that was a TLM 49...I don't remember now). A lot of it is because I've just trained myself to grab what I know (u87, u47, u87, m50, did I mention a u87?) Oddly I'm not a u67 fan, which may have been another reason i'd pass over a TLM 67.

And if I'm being totally honest, I'll typically choose either Schoeps or DPA SDCs before the Neumann KM or Sennheiser MKH stuff anyway. I really do like the Schoeps CMC a lot

Ok...I think I rambled...to the point where I forgot was I was getting at...but I'm guessing you figured that out a while ago

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele