View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbelton View Post
I should probably share the story on how I ended up with this guitar, too.

My wife's grandfather was an avid musician and when he passed away about 15 year ago, he had a wide variety of stringed instruments (guitar, mandolins, banjos, ukuleles).

I only met him once when my wife and I were first dating, and when he found out I played guitar, he shuffled to the other room and came back with this guitar and a mandolin, and told me "play something! play anything!" He was in his late 80's at that point but we still jammed a bit that day, me on the guitar and he on the mandolin.

When he passed away a couple years later, my father-in-law inherited the guitar and planned to give it to me some day. My father-in-law, his three siblings and none of my wife or her cousins caught the music bug, so I was the next best to "keep it in the family."

My father-in-law tucked the guitar away, and my wife and I later married and several years went by. When I later purchased a Martin OM-28 a few years ago, my father-in-law saw the guitar and said "A Martin! You know, I've been holding onto my dad's guitar for you all these years - let me dig it out of the closet for you."

Great piece of guitar and family history. Now hopefully one of my kids catches the music bug!
What a cool story. Sounds like you married into a great family.