View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
No intention of putting any one down here. I simply crave being able to “feel the music and be able to make sounds people enjoy hearing.” And I’m exploring every possible way to get there…
I know, I was just pointing it out because if you are laboring under an impression you got from someone who was trying to be insulting, well, maybe that's not the best way to go about things. And if you weren't, maybe repeating the insult isn't great either.

Quote:
It's like being actor: an actor can communicate intense emotions without actually feeling anything at all at that moment; he needs the complete control in order to perform the techniques that will communicate the emotion accurately. If he wants to communicate sadness, it's no good if he breaks down and cries. He'll just look like someone crying.
And then in the 20th century they invented something called "Method Acting" wherein an actor deliberately causes themselves to experience emotions (e.g. deliberately thinking about a sad personal experience while portraying a sad character) in order to give the audience the experience of watching an emotional performance.

Approximately 80% of all Oscars given to date have gone to Method Actors. Classically trained actors (of the sort described in the quote above) can make a good showing, but it is a rare and difficult talent. Most people who try communicating emotion they don't feel end up looking like clowns.