View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I bought one of his guitars back in the 80s. It's crazy for me to think back on it now. I had to send him the whole price of the guitar and wait a year to receive it. That is if I remember correctly. I wrote a song on that guitar that I play to this day. I remember that it was more guitar than my skill level deserved. Nothing's changed.
Cool story...thanks for sharing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
That may have been my ol’ thread.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...light=Franklin

Regardless, Nick was great to work with, and the guitar truly wondrous. Enjoy the path.
Yes, your build thread was one that I saw (there are also a few others)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Oh man... I am JEALOUS!

I played a Franklin at Luthier's Collection a few years ago, and it definitely caught my ear. One of the best I played that day and immediately put Nick on my short list of luthiers to buy a guitar from. I will be curious to hear how it sounds given its heavier density and ringing tap tone.

The Cuban Hog is amazing!!!!

I think you are going to be very, very happy. I am going to look forward to the updates on this build!!!
Thanks.... I honestly have never seen Cuban Mahogany with this type of fiddleback curl in it. Keep in mind, these trees were introduced to Hawaii back in the early 1900s and they may develop differently in the Hawaiian terroir than the Caribbean or Florida. That wood typically has a beautiful ribbon figure to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftz07 View Post
Congratulations! You are going to love your Franklin guitar.

I have two of Nick’s OMs and they are built extremely lightweight, and has a tone that rivals some of the best vintage martins. He uses interlocking top braces - I always wondered if that contributes to his awesome tone.

Nick also seems to excel with using German spruce, which he has very nice old wood cut decades ago. I don’t think you could go wrong with this one! I look forward to seeing your guitar come together!
Nick's approach to construction is interesting. I hope to share a bit of it here on AGF as the build evolves...