View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Hi Petty,

It sounds like a fun experiment which you have in mind. If memory serves correctly, someone on the forum has already successfully substituted the K&K Pure Mini for the Element UST in an Anthem SL system.

I believe the mini plug which connects the Element UST is a mono plug, if its the same type of connector plug that I remember from a barn door style Baggs iMix system which I once used.

One caveat is that the pickup must be somewhat similar to the Element UST in its passive output level, since the Element preamp will have a fixed gain and would likely be overdriven by the typically hot output of a ceramic piezo UST. The Matrix and the PUTW I/O USTs are film piezo USTs, so they'd be more likely candidates.

Its interesting to note that the PUTW I/O UST is almost as hot as the Pure Mini SBT - at least it was in one of my guitars which was equipped with those two pickups at one time. (The output level of a passive UST will vary somewhat with mechanical aspects of the installation.)

In any event, if the Pure Mini can be successfully substituted for the Element, its likely that the PUTW I/O UST will work also. At least it won't be overdriving the Element preamp. Hopefully, the Tru-Mic level will be adjustable enough to balance properly with whatever pickup you choose.

Another possible caveat with the Anthem's UST preamp is that there may be some internal EQ applied to the signal which may be flattering to the Element UST but not the substitute pickup.
Yeah, I would think that the Matrix would probably be fine. The PUTW I have heard is a bit more picky about having a preamp close by but the Baggs module/preamp would probably be good. If anything, the PUTW could suffer from having too weak of a signal. PUTW is not readily available in Canada but I feel like of any company, they would be willing to do a custom order for me. I bet I could ask them to wire the I/O UST to the mono mini plug. I just see this as being an extremely easy experiment. The hardest part is finding a Matrix or I/O UST that's not already wired to a jack or preamp.