View Single Post
Old 08-13-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Slightly off topic but it is NOT a good time to do long journeys.

Car accidents are at an all time high here, probably because people are hot and tired.

I was somewhat disturbed to learn yesterday that my daughter-in-law was driving her mother, father and sister from the south coast to Newcastle on-Tyne. (in an elderly Mini) According to google maps that's a journey of about 7 hours -on a good day (there are no longer any good days on British roads, especially where we live - it can take me 15-20 minutes to get into the queue to get on to the gridlocked main east west road, and the local Sainsburys (about two miles). The ride home takes longer!

My daughter-in-law is someone I respect enormously!
She was crippled in a car crash many years ago which shortened her spine by about 4-5 inches and crushed her hip and her legs which are now almost all metal (I've seen the external bolts!

In the midst of many hip and leg issues and constant severe pain she is also in the middle of the menopause.

But, apart from her using a stick you would never know. She is a real cockney sparrow; bright, funny, perky and smart! She runs her own online business and makes my stepson happier than I've ever known him.

She got there safely.

But then, she drinks Guinness!
More auto accidents has been a lots of places trend for a little while now. I find the ideas and the solutions interesting. Some are effective but it seems not so for those who go with bad choices.

For some other matters discussed here and time I think of the familiarity heuristic and my starting a re-read of the great book Factfulness. The book or at least Hans Rosling's ideas might interest many here.

It being August, my area has a lot of warm and hot days ahead but the way things cooled a bit after two bits of rain this week reminded me the seasonal changes will be some relief.

Again, good luck handling these matters. I thought about all this when I did not want to but forced my daily exercise before yesterday was over.