View Single Post
Old 04-25-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Hey folks, I have a Telecaster Deluxe, and for no particular reason, I want a Les Paul. Just want to plug it straight into a Marshall amp and crank out Malcolm Young riffs (I know, it's a Gretsch Jet) and classic rock stuff. The tele is fine. I really like the neck and the control layout. Just want, not need.

Questions in my head:
  • necks are really different. Is one generally preferred for lead work?
  • Anyone get the 50's humbuckers and wish they'd have gotten the slightly hotter 60s? Is that even correct?
  • P-90? Might make a good contrast to the Tele, but I may or may not keep the tele and I want that core rock sound. Not into hum or noise.
  • There are SO MANY OF THEM! FFS. Where to start?
  • Does the chambering affect sound in a MEANINGFUL way for someone who isn't deep down the electric tone rabbit hole?
  • Would you say screw the LP, get a PRS singlecut? Why or why not?
  • Other thoughts?

Thanks so much you GAS enablers!
I just happened to stumble into owning a Les Paul recently, a 50's heritage Standard. I'm very glad I did. They are fantastic guitars so I'd say go for it, you will not be disappointed. Something about the short scale and the back angle of the neck that just makes them so playable. The 50's model Burstbuckers are fantastic imo. The one I got just so happens to be a light weight one but chambering is a great way to lose weight and I doubt you would have any perceived change in tone.

PRS is a nice guitar but it's not a LEs Paul. Again the angle of the neck and the short scale has a lot to do with making a Paul a Paul.