View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Cool! I'd like to hear your thoughts (although I know it will take awhile) on the DR lineup, but really how the Rares and Dragonskins compare up to the Sunbeams.
Resurrecting this thread because I got to try the Rares & Sunbeams on my new Yammie LS16.

After a setup, I had the Rares installed. The tech left the new Tusq saddle a little too tall but it was still playable, if a little stiff. They sounded fine, like you expect PB to. Nothing remarkable or bad. However, after a few days they became thumpy and more "earthy" in tone than the "steely" tone I expect of PBs. I sanded down the saddle and put Sunbeams on.

Two things went wrong: first, I sanded the saddle down a little too much on the treble side and the 1st string rang clearly but clearly lacked tone due to insufficient break angle. Secondly, I tuned the guitar and stretched them repeatedly and the 3rd string broke on me. So, I didn't really get to test them

I don't know if it was just bad luck but I have rarely had that happen in my life. I threw a set of Pearse PB Lights on and they sounded ok, warm, but not remarkable. I'm going to pop in a different saddle, which has a better profile, and try the Pearse again (for the sake of control). Since my saddle is a little low, I don't want to discredit the Pearse yet and I should give the Sunbeams another try as well.

So far, I'm not digging the Rares and don't have the experience to judge the Sunbeams yet. The JPs are ok but I'll probably try the D'Addario PB lights as well (bc I always have a bunch) and if none of those woo me, it's back to Elixir Nanowebs.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic