View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I tried this and didn't find it useful for guitar. Definitely a different approach that would take some getting used to, so maybe I'd learn to like with with more effort. But it seems to me that solo guitar is so different from music 99% of the world has even heard of that these tools that try to automatically adjust the spectrum to some pre-defined standard of "balanced" are going to be all wrong. Probably works well on a pop production, and the demo they have with some funky synth-pop thing seems to work nicely. But that's not the EQ curve I want on guitar.

If I understand, they claim they're doing things to re-align the phase/timing of a mix to bring out parts that might be buried. That's not going to be an issue with solo guitar, and is probably going to just mess things up.

The one control, "recover", I think, seemed to be basically a Dynamic EQ/Multi-band Compressor but without controls other than how much. It sort of flattened everything out, compressing every individual note as it played. Could be useful perhaps, but in my brief trial, it seemed to either do nothing, or sound overly compressed. The "tame" control was kind of baffling, since what it seemed to do was boost the highs to the point of sounding shrill, which seems like the opposite of "tame" to me :-)

Anyway, I'd give them credit for trying something new, I just think solo acoustic guitar probably isn't the application they have in mind for this.