View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
Thanks for the reply, LJGuitar

I've found some other threads to read through here and finding lot's of info. One question is how much difference between the AT2020 & AT2035, seems like the 2035 has less noise.

But another very interesting mic came up, and odd name but curious features. It's the Golden Age Project FC3 Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone, anyone use these? I am interested by the different patterns available at the change of a switch. Cardiod, Omni and figure 8. There are some micing techniques I've seen on some Youtube videos with a figure-8 and a cardiod mix that looks intriguing. Not sure how good this mic is otherwise, though, doesn't seem to be a typical one being used as I'm not finding a lot of info on it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...m_term=160x600
Hi RG

Sure I suspect the 2035 has less self noise, and depending on the project and the rest of the gear you use, it might make a difference.

I still like the Behringer B2-Pro for an all-purpose, low cost, large diaphragm multi pattern mic. A client brought one to my studio once and asked for an opinion. After using it to record some 'stuff' and comparing it to my AKG 414, it was a decent little mic, and perfectly suited for a home studio.

It's not an AKG 414, or high end mic, but it it a decent, and low cost alternative for people who are experimenting and learning home recording.

I started with less expensive gear and grew into a studio (much more expensive mics and preamps). I still have a fond spot in my heart for the less expensive mics and preamps, which I passed on recently to a person who conducts blues workshops in a women's prison.

Here is a YouTube comparison of the AT-2020 vs Behringer B2 Pro.

It seems fair as far as it goes. Best to listen on a better system or good phones. It's obvious the full 1" dual diaphragm (25.5mm versus the 16mm of AT-2020) will produce a much more solid low end. What the test doesn't include is all the switchable patterns. They are a bonus for sure. And the kit version for $150 includes a carrying case, a mic suspension mount, foam windscreen, and sometimes ear-buds.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-13-2019 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added youtube link