View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Charlie

I own several small Zoom recorders (H1n, H2n, H4n), but if I had Geffels and wanted to use them in the field, I'd either have a Zoom F4 or F8 which are legitimate field recorders, battery powered, and pro level quality.

They are not inexpensive, but neither are your mics. The F series zooms are compact and very well laid out. They are $550 USD and $999 USD (2018 version). These are full featured, well implemented, and I've been tempted a couple times to pick up an F4 for the audio with my video shoots (paired with either my Peluso CEMC6 mics or AKG 414 etc).

The F4 has 6 channels input capability (8 track mixing), dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each, external battery power etc (it's designed with the pro video industry in mind). The point is the quality is higher than any handheld field recorders I've seen. And it's only 7" X 5.5" by 2" (the F8 is similar size).

CliCk for the link

The F8 uses newer technology (2018 versus 2016), and can be mixed using an iOS device as well as physically using the built in controls.

I know this is not the usual recommendation for mobile recording devices, but in a discussion group/thread where some own very serious microphones, this probably should be a consideration.

If budget won't permit spending that much, I've been thinking about the Zoom H6 which would have similar quality, but not as good quality. It's the upper limit of the handheld zoom technology, though I'm wondering if the internal components and quality of Zoom H5 would be similar (both the H5 & H6 are improvements over my H4n).

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Thanks, Larry, you gave me some further very serious advice to take into consideration. Your comment falls on furtile soil.

My lyrics and music on Youtube