View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'd look at Zoom products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edp251 View Post
Hey. Recently went through the same process for similar reasons. Even with a great and newer equipment the constant messing around between my Audient, my Mac and Pro tools was wasting too much time. I went with the Zoom H5. Close call between the other close Zoom models. Been laid up in bed for a month with a badly broken leg so lots of time to research.

Arrived this week. Quick to learn and so liberating. The ability to change input configurations between the onboard mics and my external mics, the one touch recording etc are all refreshing and fun. The one beginner’s error I made was listening to playback on the unit does not do the recordings justice. Now I do several takes and listen via my computer and monitors before making adjustments as the sound is much more clear. Very happy so far.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Another vote for the Zoom H5. I like being able to record away from the noise and reflections in my computer room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I too use a Zoom H5 and get good results with external mics.

However, having recently upgraded my mics, I am considering perhaps going to a Zoom F4 or Sound Devices MixPre3 for a better preamp while retaining portability.

Given the quality of your existing equipment I would not recommend any H series Zoom, unless budget is limited. (BTW the H4n pro, H5 and H6 have the same preamps).
Thank you all for your helpful comments. You all point in the direction of Zoom. In the preparatory search I did on the internet Zoom often came up, but since they are mainly created for supporting camara work I was doubtful. It is good to know that you use them for acoustic guitar and like them. Rod, I also came across the F4 and I am greatful for your remarks. More expensive but probably worthwhile saving for. The doubts I mainly have with these con- and prosumer things are the preamps.

My lyrics and music on Youtube