View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I think the nature of play has changed. When I was a kid we built stuff....forts, toys, bike trails, car models....etc.... We got a feel for the physical world. The strength of materials, their weight and their limits. We jumped our bikes over ramps.....gave us a feel for the physics of speed and incline and distance of flight.
I don't think many kids do much of this these days. Too much virtual play. Parents hover more and prevent free and somewhat dangerous play. Everything is scheduled and quantified. Not much room for creative free play.
I think this creates a separation from the physical world.
Just a theory.
I think this is ‘sorta’ true, but we had a lot of dumb kids way back when, playing with cherry bombs, driving drunk, shooting guns, unjamming snowblowers, etc. some of them didn’t make it to adulthood. They couldn’t record the stunt and post it instantly to Instagram and most weren’t exactly proud of the exploit after they were maimed. Maybe our ER and EMT treatment is a lot more capable now too.

That George Carlin quote above really says it well. I miss his observational humor.

Rick