View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Traditionally guitar sets have been symmetrical so the back is not attractive nor standard. It would have to be the only guitar that I could buy for me. Sapwood is a bonus feature so theres nothing wrong with that but I wouldnt buy any guitar with a walnut fingerboard unless you plan to just play it a few years. It is too soft for a fingerboard. The variegated colors on it I do like the looks of but playing it would be distracting and so being distracted it would slow me down. Its a guitar for those that dont know any better.

You asked so Im trying to help you with the info you want.
One thing about the walnut fretboard...
Walnut isn't as hard as ebony or rosewood but the wood being used doesn't feel soft to me on any of the J 15s I have tried.
The Janka hardness ratings are not absolute. Some trees can produce harder wood or softer wood.

To me it feels like the wood chosen for the fretboards is harder.

Another thing to think about is that not everybody uses the same amount of pressure when fretting. I would not at all assume that you would only get a few years of playing from a walnut fretboard.

A good question is how hard does the wood have to be? Then there is the question of how much the fretboard wood contributes to the sound of the guitar?