Thread: teaching rhythm
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1rh0pper
Might try having the student put the guitar down and do some listening exercises. As they are listening to a tune they like or are working on, have them tap a foot...or pat their right hand...or something.

Try to get them hearing the rhythm, then pick up the guitar and see if they can "feel" it.

Just a thought...I'm definitely not a teacher.
Same sentiments here. Not a teacher either but rhythm, at least for me personally, is more of a "feel" than it is notation.

I definitely agree with the listening recommendation.

A friend of mine who was just learning to play the guitar commented that that she was having similar difficulties with the tempo/rhythm. I told her to stop by and bring her guitar and a few of her favorite CDs. I looked through her CDs, chose a tune with a very simple rhythm pattern and as we listened to the music, I told her to put her guitar down, stand up and move to the beat. I encouraged her to do air guitar, air drums, etc. allowing her to loosen up a bit and feel the music.

I should've offered her a drink but I didn't have any.

It didn't happen immediately but she gradually improved her feel for the music. She became less mechanical in her strumming. A few weeks later, I overheard her commenting about a song that "would've sounded better if she changed the rhythm a bit."

Good luck!