View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Guitar View Post
I would like to respond to this hearing aid post with a question. All input would be appreciated. I have profound hearing loss, mostly high frequencies, and I wear hearing aids. I play my guitar with and without hearing aids and of course the experience with hearing aids is preferable but either with or without hearing aids is acceptable when playing alone. Considering the higher db levels of sound due to the amplification provided by hearing aids, would it be less danger to my hearing if I played without wearing hearing aids? Thanks a lot for any response
Good hearing aids have a number of adjustment to allow them to tailor a single instrument to the individual requirements of multiple customers. One adjustment typically found in aids is a limiting circuit so maximum volume doesn't go to damaging levels. So in the setup process the audiologist will put in a max limit. You shouldn't have volume levels from your aid that are painful if it's adjusted properly.

Can it still damaged your remaining hearing? God, I don't know, and I struggle with this for decades (I've been wearing hearing aids for 50 years). My current setting has the hearing aid max'ed out at over 130 dBA. Supposingly 100 dBA could result in damaged hearing in as little as 15 minutes. For normal people. Me, I stick those BTE aids in my skull every day and go about my business. At the end of the day my hearing is still there.