View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Surely you must be referring only to the 2018 Builders Edition, in which case I’d agree. However, the flagship all-Koa K24ce does not have a dark stain and is very attractive.

And while the OP didn’t want a laminate, the 224K DLX is an awesome looking guitar. There are studies out there that claim laminated transfer sound better than “solid” wood.

Finally, for anyone lusting after Koa, approach the Koa topped guitars with caution. These hardwood tops create a very different tone than what you’re used to with spruce tops. They simply don’t vibrate as well. Add Taylor’s very thick 6 mil gloss finish and you’ve got a surface that damps out the bass and treble leaving a very mid-rangy tone. The urban legend is that Koa will “open up” after several years of playing but I ask, why wait?
My only experience with Koa was a brief flirtation with an admittedly beautiful Gibson J-185 Koa custom. It had a spruce top and seemed to be begging for a long scale to bring something (for want of a better description), to an otherwise restrained tone. And yes, if a guitar doesn't sound good when I first play it I'm not going to gamble on it opening up years later...

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-31-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Inappropriate