View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
We have a weiner!

So it's turned down a step. In this way a person may play it the same as they are used to but in E instead of G. Right? Now I have to talk to my mandolin playing buddies to see if they are up for it. Thanks
No that would be tuned down two steps. Learning to play mandolin tuned down 2 steps so you can focus only on blues in E is a short-sighted goal that will likely be a problem if you ever decide you actually want to learn to play in standard tuning. One important point - not all blues tunes are done in E! Yank Rachel did a few different tunings. He was a self-taught player about 100 years ago, who had almost none of the opportunities we do today. Too often we hear one aspect of a somewhat successful or influential artist's style and think "that's what I need to do!" sort of like "Paul McCartney never learned to read music and look how well he's done - reading music is a waste of time!"

I've only been playing mandolin 10 years. I've played guitar about 40 years and violin about 45. I play bluegrass, classical, Americana, C&W, jazz, gypsy jazz, klezmer, Irish trad and blues on mandolin. I play all these genres in standard tuning. I recommend you learn to play correctly first, then experiment.