View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 07:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default A Redwood/Leopardwood OM build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
I did some more work on the neck end today, looks much tidier, unfortunately my pictures of that aren't sharp so I shall retake them tomorrow when I have acceptable light again

I also put my tuner holes in and plonked the tuners in to see how they'd look. I do like the outcome how the tuners sit against the headstock with its recurve at the top. I did discover my headstock was a bit thick and left not much string post sticking up, i used my Safe-T planer for the first time to take about 1.8mm off and leave a 15mm thick headstock, it still may be slightly thick. I discovered the Safe-T planer grabs the wood a lot more than I thought it would and doesn't cut as cleanly either. I don't think i'll be using it for any back and side thicknessing in the future unless its my only option.

These Schertler machine heads seem most excellent, i used the nylon string versions on my last build and was very happy, these seem even smoother and nicer.

I didn't fancy starting anything else this evening so i continued with my thickness measuring device / calliper. I cut the slot for and mounted the trigger, and put the cap nut in for the zero point. It's pretty much there now. I'll clean up the 'handle' and i might still make it a bit thinner in that handle area so i'm less likely to catch my knuckles on anything i'm measuring.

tuners sitting in there to see how I like the headstock outline

Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr

Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr

Hi David,

It's all looking great. I wanted to let you know what we use here at the shop, to thickness our peg heads. Although we us a saf T planer to rough thickness the back of our necks, we use a spindle sander with an adjustable fence for the back of the headstock. It's much cleaner than the stp.

Nice build,
Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS