View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluidity View Post
Please allow to respectfully disagree. Over the years, I have had my share of all types of wood combos, I also agree that in the hands of the right builder most final products can be great sounding. But, the BRW/Sitka I have now has no comparison, it just is head over heels better sounding. I mean. up and down, over sideways and upside down. I can only say it this way, all the other guitars I have had, I played them. This one plays me. Of course it is just IMHO.

Oh' dear, I think I might have put the cat amongst the pigeons was'nt my intention at all.

you are absolutely right super' BRW is a wonderful tonewood in the hands of the right luthier, in that theres no doubt and these days due to its premium cost its only ever going to be found on the very very best of instruments so its bound to create a good impression. This leaves me wondering how much can be attributed to the wood itself. Is it possible for a Indian RW instrument to sound equally as good ?.Is there a crossover point, where its possible for a Indian to have the same or even more of the beloved properties normaly ascribed to Brazilian once all the other variables, top, bracing, finish, etc. are taken into account

Truth is I don't know, I'm a lefty so its not like I can play and form any worthwhile opinion on everything that comes my way. What I have noticed is selecting BRW is not always infallible in ensuring what turns out will be a truely great guitar, as many have said theres much more to it than that. Going back to the 70's if you had a RW back & side guitar chances are it was Brazilian and we all know what a mixed bunch they were back then, anything from wonderful to absolutely horrible and all point in between, Now its top $ everything made with BRW is going to be good

So maybe, its one of them personal preferance things, many swear that BRW has that certain something that puts it ahead of Indian and if your experience has led you to believe that, thats good. On the otherhand I'm yet to be convinced but thats o.k. they all make music, ultimately thats what its all about.