View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Falling in love with nylon

I've been playing guitar for so long I ought to be a lot better than I am. I've always been a steel-stringer, more electric than acoustic. The last few years I've devoted a fair bit of time to learning some alternating thumb folk-style accompaniment (think Steve Earle, Townes, Guy Clark, Nanci Griffith, but not as good.) My church lost its accompanist for Taize music, and I stepped up by learning the songs and picking up an inexpensive Lucero classical acoustic-electric at the GC, since Taize is best done with nylon strings.

Darned if I'm not falling in love with it.

It certainly helps that I have extensive experience on the uke, so I'm familiar with nylon; and certainly that I've been doing more fingerstyle stuff lately, even if I'm doing more arpeggiated than folkie accompaniment.

I don't see myself needing to upgrade the guitar anytime soon - it plays great and sounds good, especially since I took care of what little fret sprout there was and polished the frets up nice and slick. Between the onboard eq and the Boss VE-8 I can get some great sounds through the PA, and loop for some drony meditative music.

Man, playing guitar is fun. And this new voice (my first ever nylon string guitar) is sparking fun into my playing again.

Just had to post it.

Last edited by Willie_D; 05-13-2019 at 12:32 PM.