View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Perhaps OT but why bother? Vintageparlorguitars.com has em all ready to go. The inventory changes from time to time but tell him what you want.
I just build instruments for fun. Most have been offbeat - a copy of an 8th Century Saxon Lyre, a Greek tzouras and baglamas (though I used to play out on those), a few cigar box guitars of different types and configurations, tackhead banjo, got about halfway through a renaissance vihuela de mano build (by far the most challenging thing I ever attempted). In fact, would probably use the same form I made for the vihuela, for parlor guitars - perfect size...

So, the answer to “why bother?” is only partially “to have one”, and partially to see if I could sort of recreate the sound. Just a hobby.

But, to your point, one reason that I’ve never attempted a 6-string acoustic guitar build is that there are just so many available, and even most of the inexpensive ones are probably as good as or better than anything I could build, with the possible exception of if I worked from some well-established plans (and maybe even then). And that’s not fun - the design process is at least half the fun.