View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks, Herb, for asking for an explanation and posting the response here. Since I am not a builder or a sound engineer, I am not in a position to debate the assumptions and assertions but as a player, I have played guitars that exhibit issues with unpleasant harmonic content and those that don’t. If the V class bracing offers another solution to dealing with those issues all to the better.
I imagine some folks will hear the difference when they play the instruments and others won’t notice much of a difference.

As an aside- not meaning to hijack the thread, much of the discussion about the V-class bracing and the claim that it will render X-braced guitars obsolete reminds me of the outrage that ensued in the early ‘70s when a computer programmer created an algorithm (I think that is the right term but correct me if I am wrong) that had the computer spit out every haiku poem that was mathematically possible to be written. The literary and artistic community went ballistic. They felt that something sacred about the artistic process had been exploited and violated.

All this to say that after 6 months or so, it all died down. People still create haiku poetry and people are still moved when they read a poem that touches them. Nobody seems to even know or care that the poem was written by a computer forty some odd years ago.

Folks are still going to make music on X-braced guitars, V-braced guitars and cigar box guitars. And people will still be moved by the music that touches them.

Best,
Jayne