View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
Phil,
Tell us more about your Emerald. How does the sonic quality compare to wooden guitars?
Short answer: It's fantastic and I won't go back to a wood baritone, James.

Long answer: The Emerald is their X30 jumbo (a BIG body all CF guitar, 17" lower bout and almost 6" deep at end pin) with a 25.5" to 27" fan. The only way I could afford it was to keep it simple: no veneer, no pickup and gig bag only. It sings in A-gad (would be B to B in Standard) and is the first acoustic that I've had that threatens to feed back, it's that resonant.

FYI, my comparator is a fan-fret baritone made for me by local NS luthier Russel Crosby with a 26" to 27.25" fan, redwood/black walnut instrument that I played for 7 years. I kept it tuned to BbFBbEbFBb (half-step up from AEADEA) because that's where it sang. The Crosby, which I sold for more than I paid for it when someone made me an offer that I couldn't refuse, was an impressive instrument but the Emerald swept it off its perch...

...and is so impressive that I now have a DADGAD X20 (essentially a deep-body OM with a 25" to 26" fan, no veneer, no pickup, gig bag only) on order. I don't expect it to replace the Lowden (!) but I am looking forward, eagerly, to receiving it.

Phil

PS: I see a Synergy HG in my future...

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.