View Single Post
Old 07-05-2021, 12:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am watching the weather conditions like a hawk, waiting for the humidity to get down to 65% or lower, so I can shoot the shaded finish on the top. We've had thunderstorms moving through for the last week.
Joel and I have found that in these humid Gulf Coast conditions, you can get good results spraying in higher humidity by adding thinner and retarder to the lacquer, and spraying super thin coats, so any moisture can escape before the lacquer skins over. Adding more coats completes the routine.

We build our guitars in carefully controlled shop climate, and keep them in an environment with 45%- 50% humidity. Our spray room is not climate-controlled though, because lacquer is poisonous and extremely volatile, and we have to have two fans constantly exausting fumes OUT and fresh air in while spraying. It would be nice to spray in a controlled environment, but our paint room is in my house, and I don't want to kill myself with toxic fumes.

I hope to get that shade on James's guitar today. Then, I'll be lacquering up a regular storm. I have three other new guitars to finish too.