View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 03:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That top is stunning with the coloration and the degree and symmetry of the bear claw! Lucky to have it coming to B.I.G.!
Thanks Tom! It is a beauty and has the weight and stiffness I look for in Sitka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I love that top!!! What a beauty.

This Alaska stuff Makes me nostalgic for my 14 years as a traveling musician and band leader in AK... 84-98. All over the state, repeatedly.

Yes, the winters were brutal, but I spent a good chunk of most in San Diego.
Oh, but what a place!!!

I Often get asked if the people were as crazy as they are shown on the TV reality shows. The answer is no. They were way crazier than that! Ha ha ha ha.
it was a fun place to be the entertainment!!! Folks were VERY appreciative.

The Sitka forests were literally the size of smaller states. No wonder they used it for float camps. There was so much Sitka!

This will Rock B.I.G.

Carry on

Paul
Thanks for your comments Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hi, Mark,

That blue Sitka looks like it has the quality of legend! Can't wait to see what you do with it. No doubt it will be a Masterpiece, which is your standard thing.

I've gotten some of that Alaskan float log Sitka from Brent at Alaska Specialty Woods, and it is superb stuff in the higher grades. And there is no "aroma" quite like it that I've ever experienced, when you run this wood through a sander. It's something you never forget, the olfactory impact of float log Sitka. And in the built guitar, the exotic visual beauty and tonal quality of the wood are out of this world.
Thanks Steve! I agree with you about the smell of the woods. Actually, one of the things I love so much about building guitars is all the wonderful and often surprising smell of the woods I get to work with;

Amaboyna Burl- Cotton Candy
Desert Ironwood- Hot Buttered Popcorn
Olivewood- Italian Restaurant
Spanish Cedar- Spice
Western Red Cedar- School Pencil
Brazilian Rosewood- Heaven's Waiting Room
Torrified Sugar Maple- Granola
Port Orford- Menthol
Indian Rosewood- Horse Poop
Lignum Vitae- Old Dates

And on and on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I was reading about the ancient 3,000 year old Sitka log that was located and made into guitar tops. I love reading about these old logs that are repurposed. There's something special about it. I happen to think that all guitars would feel more interesting to the owner if they knew a little bit about the tree they came from.
I couldn't agree with you more! I love knowing where the woods come from and I love a good story. Provenance is a big deal!

Thanks for commenting!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright