View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 02:44 PM

I use Logic Pro X a good deal, and the amount of stuff I need to complete for my current project where I play most of the instruments and am always own engineer means that I like to have a fast setup.

You, and the thread, haven't mentioned templates yet. I suspect GB has them, and I know Logic X does. I have templates for a number of things setup that are ready to choose in My Templates in Logic and I have Logic's preferences to ask what template when I open Logic. I have a three mic array physically setup for recording acoustic guitar and vocals and the template has all of them set with channel/tracks open and labeled so I know what's what. I can arm which ever ones I'm using for each recording and then hit record. I open Logic, select my solo acoustic guitar template and, click for one to three mics, and hit record.

I sit where I can see the Logic screen. Yes, every so often need to fiddle with levels, but things are usually close enough for simple and done. This isn't like the old days of tape when you really aimed for a narrow range to keep noise down and the tape in the hot zone. I just make sure that I'm not hitting any overs volume wise. I can see that in the first few bars on the screen while recording, and having a template, default mic setup, and recording regularly helps me learn what acoustic and vocal volume to put out for my setup.

I'll mix later, I don't worry about getting an exquisite mix before hitting record when it's just me recording solo. If I want to overdub vocals in a separate pass, it's just a matter of what track I arm.

I have other templates for "one man band" recording, and others for band projects with multiple musicians. I do the same thing in ProTools, though that's not something you're using.

So first step, if you aren't using templates, you should be. Secondly, if you keep your mics setup and in placed for your own solo recording, that's a real timesaver.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....