View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Quick n' dirty?

I'd suggest recording stereo tracks using a Tascam DR-05, you could even use two separate recorders for guitar and vocal, combining them in your DAW later. The DR-05 has omni mic capsules which can contribute to a fuller sound.

The huge advantage of this is it unchains you from your DAW environment and lets you record anywhere since there's no noise from computer fans, hard drives, etc.

I just did a VERY quick n' dirty audio recording of a newly built acoustic guitar (posted in the general section... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578582 ) and combined it with a VERY poor quality video (done with Reaper) to demo how the guitar sounds. You can see the DR-05 about a foot in front of the guitar.

I'm sure if you play with positioning a bit you could get a very clean recording of both guitar and vocal using a single DR-05 if you wanted. You could also turn the recorder 90 degrees to have the mics facing up and down, balancing in your DAW later.

I have the Tascam DR-05 as well for quick and dirty recordings and getting ideas down. I heard Rudy's recording of his new self-build guitar and thought 'that sounded great'. If you want to do guitar and vocals together with this method, presuming your Zoom H4n is similar then it'll be about finding the best position. I have to be careful not to have the guitar drowning out my voice. Attach to a mic stand somehow?