View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Quick & Dirty-ish Demos

I can't seem to set up a simple and consistent way to record my original music at home. I almost always end up resorting to my iphone just to get the ideas down.

I have a fair amount of experience working with electric guitars and vocals at home and in studios but can't seem to get out of my own way when I'm on my own. I have been using a Scarlett 2i2 and I have an SM57 and an AT2035. I also have K&K in both of the guitars I want to use. I can get around Garageband or Logic Pro X at a beginner level. I also have an old Zoom H4N.

I'm trying to sing and play at the same time so have experimented with a single mic for vocals and guitar, an AT for vocals (and some guitar bleed) and guitar plugged in to the 2i2, and also using a mic for vocals and mic on guitar.

I get so caught up in getting things set up etc that I often run out of time and focus by the time I can start recording. I write a good amount and would like to start to record this stuff more regularly, at least for my own amusement.

I'd like to hear how others manage to make quick and dirty recordings of at least reasonable quality to use as demos or maybe even to throw up on Soundcloud etc. The Zoom? One mic? Some technique that doesn't use the DAW for recording?