View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Hi Winfred. You can get a SoundCloud account for free. Record your music and upload it to SoundCloud. Link that SoundCloud file to FaceBook and see what you get for response. Minimal investment as long as you have some way to get your music into your device.

I have been playing for over 50 years, including a decade or so where it was my living. It's only a past few years where I've been doing any recording. One piece of equipment that has made the recording learning curve less steep (for me) has been the Spire Studio (made by Izatope). Combined with an iPad or iPhone, you can do up to 8 tracks relatively painlessly. The Spire has a built-in condenser mic and two preamps for plugging in other instruments. My music partner also bought a Spire, and it is easy to send files back and forth, whether we are in the same room or 1,400 miles apart.

There is a thread in this Recording sub-forum titled "Enjoying the Spire Studio." Read through that and see what folks have been doing with it.

I have done some YouTube videos, but that is more work and equipment to get decent audio to go with the video.

I have learned quite a bit, going from trying to recording directly into the mic of an iPad, to getting a Zoom H4n Pro, to getting the Spire. Learning mic placement, sound level adjustment, etc, has been interesting.

I still play out once in a while (well before this virus situation), and comfortable with my live sound and ability to entertain a crowd. Translating that to SoundCloud or YouTube has been humbling... it's a big deal if I get a couple hundred views. More like double digits most of the time. Just mentioning that so you can see that "putting it out there" isn't the same as working and promoting it.

I have a travel blog that has had over a million views... over the years. These days, it gets between 150 and 500 views most days. Not worth monetizing (although it did help me sell books). Again, mentioning that only for reference as far as making money from it.

Good luck with this process. Keep us posted.