View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 11:33 PM

Hi Catdaddy!

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I might have to give in with technology and have to learn how to use it. I'm not tech savvy, yet I think recording studios are not open with the "stay-at-home" regulations in my state. They say they'll lift the rules April 10th... but I wonder. There is an affordable studio I will email... yet even if they do say they are open I think of how contagious this virus is, actually 10 times as contagious as a regular flu virus they give vaccines for before every flu season. We could just be hitting that exponential spike starting today as I heard a lot more sirens.

So being more tech savvy as you say to record myself in my little apt that has a lot of noises as I live only one block from a fire and police station and other various noises like an argument I'm hearing between two renters now as I type this... If there's a will there's a way though. My longest original song is 12 minutes... but my first song will be 5 or so, a cover song. I guess the most I'll try for is to see if I get many hits on YouTube to see if I'm worth it or not. I think open mic goers are more empathetic as it is an atmosphere of being like "amateur hour" etc... yet a lot of what a pro paid musician told me were to be taken as good signs.

This means learning ProTools, trying to make room for setting up two mics. My laptop has Windows 7 which worries me about compatibility. It's just that things changed fast with CoVid19 as I was in the middle of a kind of juncture with my music when it happened. I think of those in the world now who could only dream of having the minor set-backs I've had compared to being like a homeless person on the streets, or a homeless person left to sleep within painted squares on the floor of some warehouse.

You're right I need to shape up and get social media going. I've had a FaceBook page for years and actually many months go by and I don't go there, or go to like Wix and start a website. I don't know what you think, but I thought if I get tech savvy and create a nice recording here with my own Focusrite Scarlette 2i2 3rd Gen digitizer. I was going to sell it on Craigs List and instead go to what I found to be a very reasonably priced recording studio at $35 an hour, plus he does the re-mastering after the actual recording. It's still tempting to change and go that route, yet the stay-at-home lifted or not... I still risk the virus and also returning to my high-rise and spreading or carrying it to others in my bldg where a significant number of fragile people live. That rule ends on April 10th here... another week. I only want to try one song just to see how it does on YouTube... maybe two ha! One cover to draw maybe attention to lead on to my original. I don't care if I make any money (really making something would be nice, but realize it's not reality ha!) and just see how I do. From your knowledge does that sound plausible? Thanks again for your input. A lot of others to respond to here! This is great, all here, great food for thought!

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Talent, hard work and perseverance. Those are prerequisites for a serious songwriter. For an "unknown" who is just starting a career, I believe being tech savvy and having a strong social media presence is next level important.

You might find the discussion in this earlier thread to be informative and helpful: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=555549

Stay healthy and best of luck to you in your musical endeavors!