View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I keep thinking back to last year when I bought a guitar with K&Ks in it. I plugged them in and thought they must be defective, to the point I took the guitar to Gryphon and asked them to check. They plugged into a Fishman, and even before playing, the bass was turned down as far as it could go. Was told that you had to do that with a dread. Then they futzed with the mid range. Got it to sound OK.

I'd been playing Dazzos so long I just could not believe the K&Ks weren't defective. I've left the one pickup for all concept behind. Every guitar I have sounds great with the EQ set flat, because the parlors have 90s or 100s, the 00 has 80s, the dreads have 70s to 50s depending. If I put the 70s in the guitar I have 50s in, I'd have to cut the bass for sure. But I don't. I have the pickup that is right for the guitar, plus they sound better. This correct frequency response into the beautifully linear SunnAudio gain stage is a perfect match. I don't really need what the MS-2 provides. I wouldn't mind having one though.

If I ever get to the point someone wants me to play both guitar and mandolin on a gig, it'll be at the top of my shopping list.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa