View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I don't get the reluctance to glue pickups on. I've seen Teddy Randazzo pop off K&Ks and have the glue residue cleaned off in minutes. Heck, I took one guitar back with the epoxy glued Dazzos, and he popped those off and cleaned and reglued another set in easily.
My aversion to super glue started when I found that it wasn't possible to clean it off well enough to install pickups like Trance over. The superglue can be cleaned off to look perfectly clean, but even with sanding afterwards, the Trance pickups don't adhere well enough to sound right - even if you use Barge cement instead of the tape. Tells me that the superglue has had a deeper effect on the wood, which is what Gary at Trance explains. It's not that I wouldn't do it, but does give me pause, and makes me ask if I'm sure that out of all the great pickup options out there, do I really want the only one that requires superglue? SBTs especially are a gamble, every guitar is different, so you never know if it's really going to work. With superglue, you're a bit more committed than with other choices.

I've had Teddy remove both K&Ks and his pickups multiple times, and yes, it's easy, tho the idea of soaking the bridge plate with brake cleaner doesn't exactly get me excited....