View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Default Beginner/Intermediate Tools

I realize that this thread may be a little rudimentary for most of the members, but Im hoping that I can pick your brains, and that this may resonate with any others that are where I am...

I am looking for suggestions for tools/apps that people use to accelerate the learning process, both technique, and qualitatively. Specifically, I think I am in the market for a looper (more on that later).

I little background first... I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks... Bought my first guitar and started to learn in Sept of 2017. Wound up having to take about 5 months off due to a health issue, but have been getting some quality time practicing lately. My "practice" consists of playing along with a playlist of music (currently 23 with varying levels of complexity of styles, mostly strumming, and a little finger style). Probably not enough, but Ill mix in some scales, but that isnt as much fun of course.

So far I have the following:
  • Taylor Academy 10E
  • Powerwerks PW50 Portable PA (two line or MIC inputs, one AUX input)
  • iOS app:GuitarToolkit (use for a tuner sometimes, Chord Forms). Also supoprts Metronome, and scales.
  • iOS app:Amazing Slowdowner. Lets me slow down any of my playlist for learning. Very useful.
  • MIDI Keyboard - Yamaha PSR500. The thing is ancient, but it has been well cared for, still works, and sounds good (for what it is anyway).

I am to the point where I would like to progress to a "next step". Im thinking that a loop pedal might be a great tool to add to the box - I would love to start layering up some music... maybe first by strumming a loop while playing the rhythm guitar line against the a backing track (original artist recording), then layering on a MIDI percussion line from my keyboard, then a keyboard and or lead line, a vocal...

The example Im thinking about at the moment from my current playlist is "Wish you were here". Im somewhat proficient with the acoustic line (at least I dont have to stop in the middle of it). I would like to learn the solos. I would love to be able to do the entire song.

So... with that: what tools have you found that helped you, or you think might help me? If the looper is a good idea, any suggestions that might let me do the above would be more than welcome.