Thread: Neck Joints
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 06:36 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
The main thing with the Taylor NT joint is that there is a contiguous piece of wood that continues through the fretboard extension, which helps prevent the "rising tongue" that can occur at that area. The innovation is that the fretboard AND heel are pocketed into the body, which allows the use of shims without it being noticeable as such. I thought it was a 5-axis CNC, but it's actually a 3-axis CNC with an aggregate 90 degree head that mills the heel pocket.
IME the "rising tongue" is nearly always an underset neck and the fretboard extension only appears to be rising if you look at it from the wrong reference point.

The Taylor N/T joint is wonderful for manufacture and repair, but the whole thing adds considerable mass to that area of the guitar. It works, but it's not what I'd consider elegant construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
Owning two guitars where the traditional dovetail joint failed, albeit after 70 years, and having the repair on one fail and have to be redone, I am using bolt on necks with a tightly fitting mortise and tenon. Things made of wood and glue that are under constant stress fail with enough time, it's what they do. Just because I won't be the guy fixing it 70 years from now doesn't mean, to me at least, that I shouldn't design the thing so it can be fixed or adjusted easily and neatly.

I have a dozen antique chairs - circa 1900 to 1930's - in my house that are in constant use. Every single one of them has failing joints. In a lot of cases it's the wood itself that has failed, but the wood is part of the joint...
Failed how? What was the brand(s)? I'm curious to know whether the instruments needed neck resets to correct the neck angle, or if the joints actually failed, as in came apart.