View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 08:10 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Side Profile 1

Larry is in his home studio putting the finishing touches on his CD. He'll be back in the shop soon. In the meantime, I have some pics of a more nuts-and-bolts process.

This is the first 00-12 Larry has built, so he needs a side profile template. Making one requires a bit of layout due to the radiused profile of the sides.

The goal here it to profile the unbent sides so that the guitar has the proper depth. The challenge is twofold: The profile curve has a 20' radius and this radiused curve is set up on the length of the body. i.e There are two scales on which this must be done.

For the purposes of this discussion, I will refer to the two scales as follows:

Side Length: the actual length of the side is 26";

Body Length: The body is (if I recall) 19.5" long.

To create a profile pattern, Larry must make depth measurements along the side length, translate to the body length to mark the depth measurements, then translate them back to the side length.

How about a few pics?

The radius curve template and tracing-based on body length.

Sample points at one inch intervals along the side length. The depth of the guitar will be measured at each of these points.

Translating the points to the body length scale.

The points are closer together in the bends of the sides, more spread out in the straighter sections.

The depths are then marked off from the points along the body length, starting at the radius curve. The depths are then translated back to the one inch increments on the (unbent) side length scale, along what will become the side profile template.

The depths are marked off. The points on this scale are unevenly-spaced points along the body length scale. This the only way Larry can use the 20' radius curve as one endpoint for each of the depth markings. Kinda tricky...

Now we're back on the side length scale, translating those depths to the evenly-spaced marks at one inch intervals. This piece of card stock will become the actual side template.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

Last edited by OddManOut; 03-20-2016 at 09:25 AM.