View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldRocker View Post
... LPs sound fantastic playing jazz...Les Paul designed his guitar(s) for jazz, not rock....
Several years ago I had the opportunity to set up a gennie '58 PAF goldtop/darkback for a since-passed local WW II vet, who bought it new back in the day (forget it - his grandkids got it, they know exactly what it is and what it's worth, and it's not going anywhere)...

I did it as it would have come from the factory six decades ago - flatwound 12's, ultra-low action (this was the last year for the first-run "fretless wonder" low/narrow frets)...

Plugged it into both his early-60's Sano 1x12" combo and my Bugera V22 - ran through the gamut of chord-melody, single-string, comp chops, country, rockabilly, blues, vintage R&B, as well as some classic-rock crunch and overdriven leads...

If you've been removing the pickup covers, stringing up with 8s/9s/10s, and using your vintage-style LP strictly as a hard-rock machine, you're sacrificing a world of tone color and tone in the process - and if you're a speed player/shredder FYI those fat post-'59 frets aren't the be-all-end-all...