View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
But if you are getting on a plane, you are much better off with a cloth gig bag in the overhead bin, than spending four times as much for a high end case and putting it in the hold IMHO.
Maybe. But in my experience, often flying on regional jets, expecting to store a guitar in the overhead bin is unrealistic. They barely have room for the one piece of luggage we're allowed to take on board. I certainly have never seen anyone try to cram a guitar in there. Guitars are gate-checked, with strollers, etc. I have a flight-case and am not that worried. Of course something can still happen, you can't insure against the craziest scenarios. If some disgruntled baggage-handler wants to destroy it, he'll find a way.

I can't believe some of the things I read sometimes. I'd better not board a plane and be unable to fit my one small piece of luggage in the overhead because someone who boarded before me decided to store his Martin HD-35 in there.

Also, those who think they're guaranteed to be able to board the plane with their guitar because they printed the relevant section of the FAA regulations, you're dreaming. If the crew decides it's not going in, it's not.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)

Last edited by pattste; 05-06-2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: (Fixed spelling)