View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 02:18 PM

Glenn, thank you so much for the excellent notes and for taking the time to make them. They are consistent with what I have been hearing from one or two others in my circle, and I am encouraged that they seem to be more technical in nature and less with regards to ability.

I am not using a board or any post-editing software. My setup consists of an AT4047 (for the vocal) and a Shure SM81, which I have moved quite away back in order to mitigate the instrumentals and in fact, often is set to minimal or even sometimes zero gain, so essentially not being used at all. If I back off too much, as you said, the guitar sound loses texture. However, even without the Shure, some of the instrument is bleeding into the vocal condenser mic, and I've tried to angle it up and away as best I can. Still get a good chunk of the guitar coming through however, and that's where I think most of it is coming from. If that is indeed the case, then a modification to my playing style may be my best solution.

Both mics are fed through a Fishman Artist and I'm recording directly into a Canon Rebel T7i with a good Rode stereo mic.

Been playing the last couple of hours with mic and amp placement relative to the camera, with minimal positive results. Will continue to work at it, because I tend to believe it's not the shortcomings of the equipment, but that of the user.

Without making the investment in the mixing board and software, I may be limited to a certain level of production quality. Hoping that's not the case.

I really do thank you for taking the time to comment. I really enjoy your vids and the quality in which they are rendered, so your notes are particularly salient.

Any other suggestions you'd be keen to offer would be gratefully received.

Best,

Mark