View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM

I had a conversation with a friend of mine recently on not exactly this matter, but a similar matter. The OP asked about line arrays versus compact amps. I'm personally weighing the options of the "line arrays" versus a pair of compact powered speakers (specifically looking at the QSC K8s and EV ZxA1s). Either way, I plan to run through a mixer, so the question I was asking was whether I would be better off with a pair of powered speakers or a compact line-array type setup.

Since the speakers I was looking at were 8", the "schleppability" wasn't that different (although the powered speakers would also require stands, but it's still in the same ballpark, at least). Also, the cost ballpark is *fairly* similar. At the low end, you have the BagAmp at $699 and at the high end, you have a pair of QSC K8s at about $1200. In between are the EVs, the Bose Compact and the SoloAmp.

I was starting to lean toward the powered speakers. I figured that they might provide greater flexibility of venue, and actually be suitable at slightly larger venues than the other units, if the need arose (and hopefully, it will). I've also heard good things about the sounds of the compact powered speakers mentioned.

I've been using a Yamaha StagePAS 300 system to date, and I've had pretty good luck with feedback and sound positioning the speakers behind me at opposite sides of the performance area (say, 15-20 feet apart). The sound has been decent, and the feedback issues have been few, but the power is limited. It's fine for the coffee shops we're currently playing, but I don't know if it would fly for some of the outdoor patio gigs I hope to round up this spring and sumer. I reasoned that having a comparable system, but with more power would be just the trick.

However, what my friend pointed out, and I believe to be true, though I have no empirical evidence (yet) is this:

When I'm near the top of the StagePAS' output limits, I'm probably also near the point at which feedback becomes an issue. If I had speakers with more power, as I push them beyond the point of the StagePAS' capabilities, I'm likely to encounter feedback. What this means is (if true), I will have to push the speakers to the front to achieve those higher volumes.

As I may have mentioned before, mixing from the stage for front-positioned speakers is a crap shoot, and not something I want to do, not to mention, it would require the need for monitors in addition, which means more gear, more setup, more stuff I'm too lazy to do.

Consequently, I've decided the best thing for us now is to stick with one of the "line-array" setups, as I feel it will be adequate if not good or great for our indoor gigs, and should the need arise, either add a second one of the same unit (whatever that turns out to be), or get 1 or 2 of the aforementioned compact speakers to run as an extension, boost, what have you when we need to power. In fact, it's also a legit option to simply keep my StagePAS system and use that at FOH if the need arises.