View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
A bit more on this. The D6-8 is by far the best sound I’ve ever heard in guitar amp. The sound I’m getting in my living room sounds like a great recording session with all the tools you need to make it perfect. It’s absolutely perfect at the levels you would listen to in a small room. I’ve put together a guitar preset that has a little high pass filtering, a little boost on the low end right above the high pass, a notch taking out the guitar feedback I get from boosting the lows, a touch of compression, and subtle reverb and delay. That with vocals on my condenser mic and a touch of compression and reverb. The sound is just like a home studio recording session! Just perfect.

It just has no extra oomph though. If I turn it up to the levels I would use in a noisy room live, it distorts pretty badly. It has really nice metering so it’s not a preamp thing, it’s the 40 watt (peak I believe) output amp. I still absolutely love it, but I can only see myself using it live as a monitor feeding into some sort of house PA, and even then, probably not on a gig with a noisy crowd. Personally, I am limiting myself to quiet gigs because of hearing damage, so it is a perfect fit for me. Even on larger gigs, I like to keep my stage levels low so it will be a good fit.

What is particularly cool is that it has a stereo mixer with two XLR outs. You can set up your mix, then send it to the house. There is a knob to adjust the overall level, so if you give yourself a little headroom during soundcheck, you can turn it up from the amp in the house if you need to.

Alternately, you can switch into another mode where the inputs from channels one and two go out to the house. That way, if you are doing a vocal and guitar gig, you can mix for yourself, but send the soundman raw guitar and vocals to mix as he pleases. This really is a practical system.

My only wish is that it had a little more headroom before distorting.

Hey thanks for the update. Looks like a good recording tool as well, just plug straight into a audio interface. How loud is it really? Compared to other amps? Could it cover a coffee house gig?