View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM

Thanks for replies!

I can see how making these could get addicting. We will see.

In terms of box size, I actually made myself a diagram to get at the "ideal" size for a 23" neck. It seems very difficult to find the right size box... so definitely feel it is worthwhile just building the box myself. However, for all those woods you mentioned, where is a good source of that? I assume it wouldn't be Home Depot?

Still, I am thinking of slapping an existing neck on a box. The mini squier can be had used for like $50. I can just remove the neck and slap it on. I will have to reinforce the box, but that will be easier than building a headstock, neck, fretboard, etc. Also, I assume a neck through the guitar is still heavy and will hurt acoustic. Sure, now I must reinforce the box... but might be able to do it in a way that allows the top to vibrate more.

I like the Martin Backpacker, but thought it'd be fun to build something myself. I want the 22.75" or 23" scale too, and Backpacker is 24'.

I actually think the Backpacker with a 23" scale and a more simple cigar box construction is what I'm looking to do here. It involves some reinforcing, but I can get the bridge in a spot to vibrate the top. Sure, it won't be great acoustically, but I think they sound good enough for my use!

I can't get a bridge in too optional a spot considering it means adding length to the guitar. At 23" scale, likely 6" headstock... that's 29"... I don't want much more in length. Maybe 4-6" after the bridge at most. Limit the size to like 36".

I have to keep thinking about it. I've been sketching some stuff out.