View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
OK, I'm restating my goal, and that is to achieve a clean sounding recorded acoustic guitar, primarily played finger style....

Taking advice from this thread, I broke out the pair of dynamic mics I had on hand, rigged up (an ugly) stand, piped them through a mixer, and into the Q3HD. In my opinion, that is already better than anything I've done previously. Tomorrow I'm headed to the store in hopes of finding something that will allow better placement of the mics. Maybe a drum mic stand per Doug's advice.

Another minor shortcoming of the Zoom is that you can't see the meters while recording.

Anyway, I feel like I made progress today, and will continue to incorporate advice found here as time and budget allow.
GC
I agree that you've made real progress.

Being a solo self-recordist or self-videographer is often an exercise in patience. Lots of moving things around and setting things up for the big moment. One trick I use is to place the camera right next to me with the rear screen visible while I adjust the mic position and preamp gain.

Then for framing the video I position a boom mic stand so it "stands in" for my guitar, that is, I place it where the guitar will be when I'm shooting the video. This lets me move the camera to the optimum location with a minimum of trial and error. It doesn't have to be a mic stand, anything that gives an accurate visualization of the subject does the job.

These two tricks have helped me get better video and audio with a little less stress.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog