View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkepler View Post
... Search this section as I, and others, have written pretty extensively about beginning violins (I’m still enjoying my Glasser Carbon Composite fiddle). A couple of points I’ll reiterate here are, don’t skimp on the bow. Really. Plan to spend at least $80 on a decent bow...
Hi Jerry.

I've just atarted and got these useful items:

- Rubber mute that fits over the bridge and is a kindness to everyone in the vicinity, player included.

- A package of musician ear plugs for the ear next to the sound holes. I found the loud volume rather painful. Violin players at the music store and bluegrass club admitted to being a bit deaf in the ear next to the fiddle.

- Fingerboard removable overlay with very faint raised fret lines. This is like violin braille or training wheels for rookies to learn by feel where fingers should be for each note. This startup shortcut means you can concentrate much more on the bowing technique to get a good tone. Instructor says peering at fingerboard stickers distorts body position. Inexpensive from Peter Stoney at frettedfiddle.com.

- Fiddle capo as a jamming shortcut until I learn to transpose between keys. Also from frettedfiddle.com.

If you've bought or rented you can ignore this:

- Everyone said the bow is very important. My $100 carbon fibre bow has less bounce and a better tone than the fibreglass bow included in the violin kit. It stores the second slot of the violin case.

- Renting is great advice. But my bad, I got a great deal on a new outfit and won't worry much about damage or loss while travelling.

- Asked the sales person to play violins to hear which sounded nicest. Avoided those that were shrill or thin. Decided on one with a full tone and growl like those I liked at the bluegrass club.

- Was told to buy a step or two higher that can be easily resold to someone ready to upgrade. Makers have series 0xx, 100, 200, 300, premium name a, premium name b, etc. Can get good intermediate grade at 200 or 300 series. I'd ask jam partners about local favourites and recommendations.

- If I like fiddling, the next will be the affordable carbon fibre Glasser for worry free play outdoors.

Cheers

Last edited by casualmusic; 04-27-2019 at 02:17 AM.