View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I am certainly one of those old fogies that used to struggle with putting needles on records !

Then running the cassette tape back and forth and writing down the words as best I could hear them.

The music I was listening to were mostly blues and bluegrass and the chord progressions were rarely challenging, but the words were the challenge for me.

Things are "currently" different, as if I hears a song that haunts me, I simply google for the lyrics and/or chords (if I can't immediately hear the progression)

Then cut and paste the info onto a word document.

Test it, and (often) correct it)

Then format it in 14 point and position the chords over the lyrics in the way that I choose to do it.

I'll then practice it at home - amend the key as necessary, sometimes change the lyrics to suit myself, and note the intro, solo points and outro, and print out three copies - one for me and one for the chaps in the trio.

Then we'll work it out, and change /adjust as necessary.

A song must be able to be written and read on only one page
I do almost exactly the same thing, including the single page and 14-point type! I often don’t include the chords, just the lyrics, if the song is either a standard chord pattern or one I’ve heard all my life. I do note the key I like to play it in, and sometimes the fingering (like key of D, C-fingering, capo 2nd fret), or something like that. I’ve always been the “master of the first verse”, and have been trying to work on learning entire songs, which is why the focus on lyrics.

YouTube has been the real game-changer (including your stuff - thanks from a happy subscriber!). Not only all the free lessons (which are of varying worth), but the playback speed control feature they added. Now I can watch someone’s fingers at 50% or even 25% playback speed, which makes it really easy to learn new stuff.

In a way, this has been a mixed blessing. Back when we were young (we’re almost the same vintage), the thing most of us aimed at was getting the general idea. And, if you listen to Dave Van Ronk (just to pick a name) playing a Mississippi John Hurt song, you notice that he’s not doing it note-for-note. (Which would actually be a trick, since I don’t think Mississippi John Hurt ever did songs note for note the same twice...)

Now, everybody seems to be obsessed with producing exact copies, and people don’t seem to like to use their ears anymore. I never saw so much tab around before, and I’m always surprised when somebody produces a YouTube video of a standard 12-bar blues song, with pretty standard blues licks over the chords, and a dozen people ask for tabs. (I personally never liked tab - I mostly learn by a 90/10 combination of listening/watching.)

Anyway, sorry for the rant. It was just funny to see that someone else uses the same exact system.