View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
The most important aspect of learning to play music is by training the ear. Everything about playing follows the ear's guidance. Even a score can be incorrectly written and people who do not have developed ears can and do incorrectly play songs and melodies because of it.

I can listen to a score and know the key and progression well before I touch a guitar to prove myself correct. This comes from years of listening to every note on the guitar's neck, which is natural for people who only finger pick and endeavor to carefully sound every note. This develops into a knack for knowing which key the score is in, each chord being played and the progression of chords as I stated above. It wasn't a conscious endeavor but rather a by-product of fingerpicking as a natural augmentation of ear training.

Worried? I would not use that word. I'd use essential instead.
Great that you can do all these... I sometimes can remember a C note if I can remember the opening note of Charlie Parker's Embraceable You solo. Otherwise I do not have perfect pitch.

When you hear a chord, say that has 4-5 notes in it, maybe a piano chord, do you individually identify all 4 -5 notes by ear? Or do you use another method to figure out what the chord is?